Some fun facts about the dataset:
- For every year the dataset includes the # of males and females born with every given (first) name.
- Only names with at least 5 people of a given gender are included to help preserve anonymity.
- There are 1758730 entries, spanning back to 1880, with 91320 unique names
- There are 28074 male-only names
- There are 53305 female-only names
I love me some Johnny Cash (and Shel Silverstein) and thought it would be interesting to see how frequently people named "Sue" happen to be boys. The total answer is 0.4% of all Sue's are male. Here is the chart showing number of boys named sue over time:
As a reddit user pointed out, there are many more boys named Susan than Sue. But if Shel had written the song using that name, it would have taken on a different meaning...
"My name's Susan, how YOU doin?"